ANST - Honorifics (was: war points)

Lee Cavett catsden at texas.net
Tue Mar 21 17:03:15 PST 2000

STDRLC13 <STDRLC13 at shsu.edu> wrote:

> I'd like to throw in my two cents if nobody minds. I feel that  m'lady
> Clarissa (my apologies for leaving out other honorifics, I don't know
> what she's got)

Well, she may be referred to as Mistress Clarissa, Baroness Clarissa, or
Clarissa. When speaking to her, you may may address her as "my lady",
"Mistress (Clarissa)", or "Your Excellency" - or even "Clarissa", if you
don't feel like being formal and haven't ticked her off. "M'lady" is a
form of address, a contraction of "my lady", and should NOT be used with
a proper name, or in the third person, unless you are referring to your
female S.O.

Honorifics and forms of address used in the Society are:
Award of Arms (or higher) - my lord/lady
Peerage (Laurel/Pelican/MoA) - Master/Mistress
Peerage (Knight) - Sir/Dame (depends on individual preference - several
lady knights have chosen to use "Sir")
Nobility (Court/Territorial Baron/ess, Count/ess) - Your Excellency
Nobility (Duke/Duchess) - Your Grace
Royalty (Prince/ss) - Your Highness
Royalty (King/Queen) - Your Majesty (a side note - the Crown of
Ansteorra has traditionally been referred to in the third person, when
necessary to distinguish them from other Crowns, as "Stellar Majesty",
on the model of "Britannic Majesty" and similar country-specific titles.
Not "Royal Majesty" - that's the Crown of England.)

There is NO Society-wide form of address for grant-level awards. In
Ansteorra, it has been traditional to refer to Companions of the Star or
Iris of Merit as "Honorable Lord/Lady", in keeping with a suggestion
made by an early Laurel King of Arms. (NOT "His Lordship/Her Ladyship".
Ugh.) Centurions are "Centurion" (not "Centaurian" - that's an alien
from our nearest stellar neighbor), White Scarves are "Don/Dona".

How do you refer to a person whose rank you do not know? By proper name.
If they want to be addressed differently, they'll tell you.
How do you refer to a person who has not received their Award of Arms?
BY PROPER NAME. There is no disgrace, and maybe it'll let someone know
that the person referred to NEEDS an AoA.

Alternate-language titles can be found on the Laurel Queen of Arms
webpage.

DISCLAIMER: Before Daniel (aka Master Daniel) jumps in with both feet,
let me state that the above rules are Society- and kingdom-specific, and
bear a far greater resemblance to Victorian practice than anything found
in period. However, they are the rules and traditions agreed upon in our
game.

Donal

--
"All kings is mostly rapscallions."
  Mark Twain (1835-1910)  - The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

"Ó, is rómhór é neart mar fhathach; ach is ródhroch é a usáid mar
fhathach..." (O, it is excellent
to have a giant's strength, but it is tyrannous to use it like a
giant...)
  William Shakespeare (translated to the Irish)