ANST - water bearers

Galen of Ockham wd9get at amsat.org
Sun Mar 26 16:01:09 PST 2000

Clarification:

A person can serve as a full waterbearer at age 16 (with appropriate
paperwork -see below)
BUT anyone any age can bear water OFF FIELD - i.e., to the crowd, to
fighters as they come off the list, etc.

Hear the words of the Earl Marshal, Sir Kief when I asked him about this
very question neigh on a month ago:

Me:
>We were discussing waterbearers in specific at our Baronial meeting, and
>there were some who were of the opinion that we could not use anyone under
>16 for a waterbearer, which would cut our numbers drastically. I'm *not*
>talking about waterbearers who would enter the list field or battle field
>at any time, but rather the kids we usually send around to water the crowd
>and the fighters as they come off the field.

Kief:
As long as the kiddos do not enter the list field; minors under 16 years
can certainly be utilized for waterbearing. No need for a Authorization
Card either. However, I would like for the Marshal-in-Charge of the event
to hold a Marshals meeting with all personnel that will enter the field
(heralds, Chirugeons, waterbearers, et cetera) and discuss who can and
cannot enter the field and when they can and cannot. As well, I would ask
you to co-ordinate your Chirugeons and waterbearers, including the littlest
ones (and their parents if possible) and tell them where they can help serve.

Me:
>I realize that all who would respond to the field (Chirurgeons and
>waterbearers) when called by the Marshall need the new-style authorization
>card/waiver (is that by 1 March??) I believe the age requirement for the
>non-combatant card holders is 18, same as for fighters. Is this correct?

Kief:
Almost correct. 12 MARCH 2000 is the deadline (want to get it together by
Gulf War!) Non-Contact Participants can be as young as 16...but only with
their parents permission as well as a valid Authorization Card.

In Service to Physick and Chirurgy,
Galen

Friar Galen of Ockham
chirurgeon at altavista.net
Journeyman Chirurgeon
Cyber CIC of the Chirurgeon Mailing List
Chirurgeon Web Page: http://members.xoom.com/Chirurgeon