ANST - Tornadoes?

Weiszbrod, Barbara A (Barbara) baw2 at lucent.com
Wed Mar 29 05:38:29 PST 2000

	Well, daylight has shown that there is more damage than first
thought, but not nearly as much as could have been.

	The news says there were four deaths, and over 100 people injured.
Many people's home were destroyed (the only footage I have seen so far
showed an entire division damaged, with many of the houses totaled).

	Down-town the Cash America building, the Banc One building, the
Tandy building, the Worthington Hotel (at Sundance Square, I wonder if the
new Bass Hall was damaged at all) a cathedral, an apartment house, and many
more are badly damaged.  There were reports that a couple of buildings
collapsed (one of the fatalities was a homeless man, who was trying to find
shelter near one of these buildings), and debris is everywhere.  Authorities
are asking that all down-town employees stay home unless directly told to
report to work.

	Currently the news is saying that there were two tornadoes, although
the National Weather Service is sending in crews to confirm.  Certainly
there was one, since we have all seen the films of it by now.  Probably
there were straight line winds as well; which can be just as damaging.

	Alys.
	Steppes