ANST - Copyright Class at Gulf Wars

Morgan Cain morgancain at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 19 17:28:28 PST 2000

Hi, y'all:

I am the teacher for the titled class.  Unfortunately, there was a bad
mix-up in the time.  The chancellor originally put it on Friday, although I
had told her I was not arriving until late in the day (no vacation time at
the new job yet) and could teach only on Saturday.  I found out about this
in February and wrote to her and was told it would be rescheduled and people
notified.  When I got onsite and checked for the class, it was still listed
as Friday in the booklets, and only on some of the announcement boards was
there a change listed for the classes.  This information was not given to
the Information Office (as they told me when I spoke to them on Saturday
morning), so when people came to the class on Friday nobody knew why I was
not there as scheduled.

I do apologize for the mix-up.  It is not my habit to miss a class.  I
understand from a person who did come on Saturday that there was some
general discussion about copyright questions, and unfortunately some
erroneous information about the mythical "10% rule" was disseminated.  (He
could not remember other topics, but since my class debunks this he
mentioned it.)

If you missed the class, or know someone who did, please know that I will be
happy to mail a copy of the handout to any person if you email your address
to me.  I don't read all the Kingdoms' mailing lists consistently, so direct
email is best, not to mention it protects your privacy.  (Yes, I know, we
are all friends here, at least once the fighting stops and the beer comes
out.  But you never know what weirdos read things in cyberspace.)

I don't mind answering some questions; I will not answer questions about
specific instances.  And if you would like me to come teach at a Collegium,
Ithra, RU<whatever>, etc., email and I will see if it can be worked into the
schedule.  I do lurk on the Chroniclers' list since they have the most
questions, it seems, but copyright can hit seneschals and other officers as
well.

                            ---= Morgan Cain, SCA's Copyright Advisor
                                    (credentials and references upon
request)

PS:  As a test to see if you read this far:  For those who did not guess, or
were not there, a crew was filming to show parts of Gulf Wars in a feature
about the SCA on "CBS Sunday Morning."  I was told that it will be shown the
first or second Sunday in April.