ANST - Newcomers

gptaylor gtaylor at lonestar.jpl.utsa.edu
Wed Mar 29 11:06:18 PST 2000

Thanks for the Input that y'all have given.  Keep giving it, please.

Resulting Ideas that I've had or like, as a result of these responses and other recent
brainstorming:

* Business card sized handouts.  Great idea.  I've seen folks with SCA business cards
before, and they are very handy.  A "fold-over" one would be a good addition.  If you
make one, Emma, please also forward it to me, so that I can put it online.

* Get Kryztoph to split the Newcomer's and Hospitaler's accts, or make links to
separate pages.  This has actually always bugged me, but timewise, I've never ended up
messing with it.

* Make in information-dense 2ish page handout, with most of the info from Forward into
the Past, (who, what, when, where, why, how) without actually plagiarizing Forward
into the Past.  With the correct number of kingdoms.

*  Make a two-sided, one page form for a "Get into your First Event Free" flyer (not
feast...just day-trip gate for sites that don't charge per person for the day), for
groups that want to institute this policy (Ravensfort, Bjornsborg do...any others want
do this?  Want to?)  On the "Invitation" to the event will be a place for site map and
directions, as well as the number to call to make mandatory reservervations, time for
a possible event tour, Instructions on what to bring, what to expect, a few basic
translations for SCA-ese, Info on clothes (call this to borrow...or here's a T-tunic
pattern).  Etc., etc.  Give them out in the month prior to a major event.

*  Decide what to do with the Guiding Hand...or whether I actually CAN modify it,
much. Please note...the extra info in Guiding Hand is often there for transplants from
otehr kingdoms, rather than just new folks....so some of it is pretty in-depth.

*  A very good thing for a hospitaler to do, if you've just had an influx of folks, is
make up little 3x5 cards in a very small font, and print out two months' activities,
as well as contact info for each, by date.  We had very good feedback when we did this
in the past.

Anybody want to make any of these things?  I've had an offer, already from Kateline,
in Bjornsborg, to do some scanning for Forward into the Past.  Others?

Ah, well...enough for now.  Back to work...

Isobel