ANST - Siege engine-Ballista poundage

Patrick J.Cuccurello pat at adtelusa.com
Wed Mar 29 12:51:53 PST 2000

I have been going over the information that everyone has been kind enough to
send me concerning siege weapons.  Does the Kingdom have a codified listing
of legal parameters
for siege weapons <<like it does for combat archery>>?

Here are my concerns.

Are there Siege Engine Marshall's?  If so, is there a Siege Engine
Marshall's Handbook?

Are there weight/construction requirement for "rocks"?  Where I can see that
there isn't
much of a problem with 5 or 6 tennis balls duct tapped together, what if
some builds a
larger trebuchet (something as tall as 6-8 ft or taller for that matter).
Where I certainly
wouldn't mind getting beaned by a 6" diameter tennis ball rock, one that is
2 feet across may give me pause.

Are there weight/construction requirements for bolts on ballistas?  Along
the same vein, a short bolt isn't going to bother me too much, but a 6'
piece of PVC moving fast may cause me to say some things in Italian.

Also, what about the inch pound restrictions on ballistas?  I assume that
they have inch pound restriction similar to combat crossbows.  Otherwise you
could build some pretty significant velocities with bundled surgical tubing.
Enough to know someone off their feet.

Did I miss all this stuff somewhere?  Most of the articles were on
construction, but I didn't finds a definitive document on SCA Combat Legal
devices.

Petruccio
<<<who could appreciate novelty of knocking someone off their feet at
   50 yards, would not like to be the one it happens to...just call me a
sissy>>>