ANST - Speacial Needs at Gulf Wars (longish)

Padraig Ruad O'Maolagain padraig_ruad at irishbard.com
Thu Mar 30 14:45:39 PST 2000

The following text comes from a message that was forwarded to the Ansteorran mailing list just before Estrella War:

"Special Needs will be available 24 hours a day. From 9:00 a.m. till sunset, they will be "cruising" the site in their two golf carts. They have enough staff scheduled that they will be able to rotate their hours to give you longer coverage. All you have to do if you need them is to flag them down or have someone with a headset call them."

"If you are disabled and will need assistance to get to classes, showers, etc., please contact the Special Needs Autocrat once you get to war to schedule a time slot. This way you won't have to be standing around waiting for a ride when you prefer to be in a nice hot shower. If you are unable to schedule for this assistance in advance, you can still have them called over the radio."

"Special Needs will be available on an on-call/per-request basis after sunset. When you see someone with a headset and need a ride, ask them to call Special Needs for you."

I'd like to see some thoughts on trying to get this kind of a service set up for future Gulf Wars.  There are a number of our folk who have difficulty in getting around, and this kind of a service would surely make Gulf Wars a more enjoyable experience for them.  It would also allow those with mobility problems to camp with their Baronies, Households, friends, etc., and not have to camp separately in the handicapped area.  I know of several people who did not attend Gulf Wars this year because they did not want to camp separately, but were unsure of their ability to get from the other camping areas to the activity areas.  Offering this service would allow such gentles the opportunity to camp where they would prefer and still be able to get around the site.

I would be happy to volunteer to work shifts for a Special Needs unit, and have spoken with several people who have voiced their willingness to do so also.

Opinions?  Comments?

In Service
Padraig Ruad O'Maolagain
of House Mac an Ghabhann