ANST - Men in Kilts

Cody Chezem harbarth at swbell.net
Sun May 14 09:29:44 PDT 2000

I received this of the Viking Times list and thought some of you might
be interested in seeing it.

Thorvald Egilsson

Subject:
        men in kilts/devils in skirts
   Date:
        Sat, 13 May 2000 15:43:36 +0100
   From:
        Stephen Orme <steve at rivergate.co.uk>
     To:
        Viking Times <vikingtimes at listbot.com>

Viking Times - http://www.lp.se/gerrie-warner/times.htm

Vikings wearing kilts is an interesting concept, unfortunately kilts
were
not made until the 1700's.
During the Viking years Scottish Highlanders wore the 'feileadh-mor'
(great
wrap), woven from wool and usually a dull yellow-ochre colour rather
than
patterned. They were almost ready to wear when they came off the loom -
5
ft. (1.5 metres) wide, 15 feet (4.5 metres) long.

By the end of the 16th century the feileadh-mor had evolved into the
'belted
plaid', and with the introduction of new dyes tartans had become more
popular. The first kilts were basically the bottom half of the belted
plaid,
and modern kilts (not to mention most tartans) were developed by English
and
Scottish tailors during Queen Victoria's days.

I don't like to disappoint a lady, so I have attached a small picture of

some men in kilts. Don't laugh too loudly - they are soldiers in the
BLack
Watch, and I wear the kilt myself sometimes.

Lang may your lum reek,

Stephen Orme.