ANST - pavilion flying and other summer sports

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Tue May 30 11:32:03 PDT 2000

Trish Kvamme (ladyoftherose at hotmail.com) said something that sounded like:
> After the WeatherLord storm this weekend, all of the tents she has made on
> site were still standing, and everything inside the ones in my camp were
> dry.

This was a simple matter of timing. Things that act like parachutes,
most certainly did. This meant all the pavilions by the listfield
(except the 2 that had high-wind lines), tables, tents with open doors,
etc. Many people were trying to secure their stuff when the wind hit. It
was quite a vision seeing the wind roll across the list field.

In general the list field was quite entertaining. The pavilions with
aluminum frames fly quite nicely, apparently even over my own head when
I wasn't looking. Many of the pavilions were dropped to the ground before
they were damaged, but others were not unfortunately.

When it was all said and done, there was very little damage considering
the potential problems. The waterbearers pavilion going into the power
lines (and breaking them at the feed thank god!) and giving the pole a
good tilt was quite a sight.

(Okay, so maybe I have an odd sense of entertainment. *grin*)

Ciao,