ANST - On Another subject entirely

Trish Kvamme ladyoftherose at hotmail.com
Tue May 30 13:38:56 PDT 2000

I have had alot of discussions and given alot of thought to this subject, so
I thought I would drag it out here on the list for some more hashing around.

I have always felt, that a consort should be at the side of the fighting
field to receive the salute for their fighter, and inspire them.

The very beginnings of the SCA was founded on the recreation of these
courtly graces, as well as the fighting *grin* which everyone enjoys in
their own way.

While there are many consorts who are there being inspirational, (I am not
counting the occaisional errand or child situation etc.. that may distract
you at any given moment) I really grieve to see how many consorts don't seem
to realize the importance, and the honor it gives, to stand at the field and
receive your salute and watch your fighter do their very best to honor you.

Duncan and I have a very special salute which many people have said they
find very touching.  I have also watched Sir Miguel and Lady Connell (sp)
Count Sir Daffyd and Countess Octavia and Lord Richard and Lady Mary
Elizabeth to name but a few do some very inspirational salutes, things that
warm the heart and show their devotion to each other.

Without special moments like these, I feel the game itself would be very
lacking.  I am writing the list today and encourage others to as well to
promote these ideals to others.

When I see someone miss their salute, as I said, I am very sad.  And I think
it is because perhaps no one ever taught them this aspect of the game.

what do you all think?

Larissa