ANST - As we move through the Holidays

Patrick Cuccurello pat at adtelusa.com
Wed Nov 29 10:02:21 PST 2000

As I was reflecting this pasts weekend on all we have to be thankful for, I
looked down around my feet.  At that point I decided that perhaps I should
give voice to those who cannot touch us with words.

A Greyhound's prayer
        by Petruccio

Oh dear God,
I curl up now upon my bed, made of warmth and love.
It was not long ago it was made of steel and paper.
My ears are filled with the sounds of joy and laughter.
It was not long ago they were filled with the roar of the crowd.
My days are filled with freedom and running with the wind.
It was not long ago they were filled with the muzzle and the lead.
My heart is filled with knowing the gentle love of a family.
It was not long ago that I was alone.
My sleep now knows the warmth of a touch and the love of a scratch.
It was not long ago that the cold night was my only embrace.
I thank you dear God for these tender hearts that have taken me
  into their home to love and care for me.
May you make more of them for my brothers and sisters.

copyright 2000, Patrick J. Cuccurello