ANST - SCA and color

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Wed Oct 11 16:27:21 PDT 2000

--- Darla Williams <darlaw at JMCLIPPER.COM> wrote:
>     i am a newly interested person in the SCA, and i
> attended my first
> event - Battle of The Pines - last weekend.
>
>     i skimmed over the artilcle Lady Simone
> referenced that reminded me that
> i have been wanting to a question.

>     it is a delicate situation - what is the SCA's
> view and feelings on
> people of .....darker skin complexions,
> participating and/or joining the SCA
> and the events.  in other words, will there be a
> problem ???

No more than outside the SCA and probably a lot less. I
think that others have pretty much summed up my feelings
on the subject, both the ideals and the reality.

Part of the discussion touched on whether your ethnic
origins affect the persona you choose to play in the SCA.
They can, but they don't have to. As someone mentioned there
are plenty of red-haired samurai running around in the SCA.

If you would like to consider developing a black persona,
it is not impossible, even for Europe. Perhaps these files
in the CULTURES section of my Florilegium might prove of
interest to you:
Africa-msg        (18K)  9/ 7/00    Africa during the Middle Ages.
blacks-msg        (28K)  5/ 4/99    Blacks in medieval Europe.
Congo-art          (9K)  4/ 3/00    "Bakongo - The African renaissance"
                                 by Jan van Seist.

Perhaps some of the other files in the NEWCOMERS or PERSONAS sections
sections might also be of interest.

Lord Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net
Europe than the northern areas.