ANST - SCA and color

Paul DeLisle ferret1 at cox-internet.com
Tue Oct 10 05:14:17 PDT 2000

>     it is a delicate situation - what is the SCA's view and feelings on
>people of .....darker skin complexions, participating and/or joining the
SCA
>and the events.  in other words, will there be a problem ???   i do not
want
>any more problems in life, i have enough.....   i can always continue doing
>my own thing without an organization to share it with, but i think it would
>be nice to share !!!
>     thank you for your honesty and responses.
>always a lady....> Greetings all this is Duchess Willow de Wisp
>
> I am not sure who was asking the question about color and the SCA but I
> can tell you that in my 32 years  of playing the SCA has been more
> interested  in the person than the race.
****SNIP****

Milady:
Her Grace speaks (not surprisingly) well and truly. Although I have not
quite her breadth of experience (only 19 years here), I have found (for the
most part) that the SCA is a fairly "color-blind" group (especially the
Celts...the plaids they wear...*gaaa*!) We aren't generally prejudiced,
however, we *do* tend to get wrapped-up in ourselves. Very often, some of
our best friends live all the way across two states. The only time we get to
see them is at an occasional event, and we tend to make the most of that.
This can make us look (all together now) "stand-offish and stuffy." We
*really* aren't that way; get involved, offer to help, and keep asking
questions, and you'll make friends quickly!
I must admit that I *have* seen a *very* few instances of prejudice in my
time in the SCA; and unfortunately, we have lost some wonderful people due
to it. My advice (and plea!) is this: if you ever experience such treatment,
let someone else (whom you might know a bit better in that group, or who is
an officer in the group) know *immediately*, and the rest of us will be
happy to stomp said person into the ground!(...figuratively...well,
mostly...*grin*)
Welcome to the Current Middle Ages, milady. I hope I have an opportunity to
meet you at some point.

In Service, I remain
Alden Pharamond
Rosenfeld, Ansteorra