ANST - Canton a "Beautiful" Site?

K.C. Moon kmoon at texas.net
Sat Sep 2 19:02:44 PDT 2000

At 10:52 AM 8/23/00 -0500, you wrote:
>I am very grateful that we use the Canton site.  It was a comfort to know
>that my children had a safe place to go during the high winds at Warlord.
>No matter where we were we would have had the high winds , it hit the DFW
>area first.  At a more primitive site would we have had a large building to
>go into during the storm?  I take safety over ambiance any day.

Despite mankind's best efforts, we still can't predict the weather; but if
we always chose safety over ambiance, I'm afraid we'd be having all our
events in hotels or school gymnasiums and never be out in the fierce
out-doors where we can be burned, bitten, rained on, blown away, hit by
lightening, eaten by fire ants and all those other marvelous outdoor
experiences that make camping in Ansteorra what it is, and make Ansteorrans
what we are.

Fortunately, for those of us who prefer starlight to street-lights and are
willing to do without electricity for a weekend, there are other sites than
Canton, and many different events, near and far.  The only thing that
saddens me about Canton is that every group in that area seems to be using
the site.  It makes all the events look very much alike.  I'm hopeful that
people will find some more usable sites in that region, really marvelous
ones with great camping, great facilities and all mundanities artfully
hidden. (Hey, ya gotta dream big!)

Yours,

Mari
(fondly remembering the open-air "showers" at the old Steppes Warlord site...)