ANST - FW: Musing on September 11th -- Midterm Test - Have We Been Paying Attention?

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Mon Sep 11 23:31:24 PDT 2000

- -----Original Message-----
From: Ellsworth Weaver [mailto:astroweaver at yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2000 00:44
To: 2thpix at surfari.net
Subject: Musing on September 11th -- Midterm Test – Have We Been
Paying
Attention?

Dear Folk,

Some less than kind folk suggested to me that you have not been
reading
these missives. I say "pish and tosh" to that! Of course you have. To
prove it to yourselves, here is a simple quiz for you. Have fun, but
no
looking over at your neighbor's paper.

(10 points each)

1.  St. Augustine is best known as the patron saint of

A. Hippos
B. New York college kids on spring break
C. hagiographers
D. haggis-eating Scotsmen
E. other _________________________

2.  Gaius Octavius was later give this title by the Roman Senate

A. Pappa Smurf
B. King of Practically Everything
C. Grand Poohbah and Muckety-muck
D. Playmate of the Year
E. other ______________________________

3.  In the battle of Manzikert in 1071 CE, the Byzantines
______________

A. learned the meaning of the word "slobberknocking"
B. decided Armenia was not such a great place after all
C. found that Alp Arslan could not be climbed by elephants
D. that the eyes outnumbered the neighs
E. other _________________________________________

4.  In 1581 Dr. John Dee's life took a strange turn. He
_________________

A. decided that Britanny Spears was the anti-Christ
B. had a date with an angel
C. decided to swap clothes and wives with Edward Kelley
D. ran for court astrologer and then for his life
E. other __________________________________

5.  On at a small hill called The Horns of Hattin _______________

A. some Aggies opened a ski resort
B. Charlie Byrd called the folks to jazz
C. Reynald of Chatillon finally learned to behave
D. there’s an old rugged cross
E. other ___________________________________

6.  On July 31, 1291 an army made of former slaves took Beirut and
put
an end to the Crusader presence in Palestine and Syria. These
soldiers
were called

A. Sir by almost everyone
B. Bobby Knight
C. Barbaloots
D. Malamutes
E. Puss in Boots
F. other _____________________________

7.  On June 21st in 1306 Philip IV ("the fair") King of France gave
William de Nogaret a _________________

A. noogy
B. wedgy
C. secret massage
D. pet weasel
E. other ______________________________

8.  Macbeth’s son Lulach became king right after dad died. What
happened then?

A. he went to EuroDisneyland
B. Malcolm III taught him to chill
C. he begot Lorenna McKennitt
D. he launched the first courtesy crusade
E. other ____________________________

9.  Complete this analogy: Titus was to Jerusalem as

A. Grant was to Richmond
B. salts are to a goose
C. mud is to a tin horn
D. earwig shall be to Chechov’s brain
E. other __________________________

10.  Complete this sentence: Don’t know much about the Middle Ages,
________________

A. that’s why I teach history and coach football
B. stare at the pictures and I turn the pages
C. pass the duct tape, please
D. so I read "Musings"
E. other ______________________

Extra credit (2 pts each)

Explain the Ghelphs and the Ghibellines in a Shakespearean sonnet
form.
Make sure your audience knows who the good guys were.

Ellsworth Weaver says that he lost the war in Vietnam. Defend his
assertion without using the words "and," "or," "but" or "frangible."

Use examples from Musings to support this statement "I'd rather be a
hammer than a nail." Double credit if you can prove the converse.

=====
SmileWeavers Astrology Charts

http://mail.yahoo.com/