ANST - Re: ansteorra V2 #266

K.C. Moon kmoon at texas.net
Fri Sep 22 18:18:31 PDT 2000

No Alexis, it's Welsh. ;-)  I don't know what it says, but I know Welsh
when I see it.  I also note the fragment "gwlad" in that snippet, so it may
have something to do with "a country" or "the country" or something like
that.

Anybody got a Welsh-English dictionary?  Or know Welsh?  Wonder what the
title is.

Mari

At 05:49 PM 9/12/00 -0500, you wrote:
>It looks like his keyboard got stuck.
>
>Alexis
>
>> Greetings:
>> Can anyone help this gentleman who has posted a problem he has on
another list I belong to.

>> He is a book seller and can't figure out what this book he has picked up
is.
>> Below is his complete message.........
>> Thanks for your help
>> Tegan
>>
>> I've got this old book that is written in old english text and I am
trying to find out
>> something about it and I  was wondering if anyone here reads this type
of old english text.
>> I've been told that it is possibly Welsh, Scotish or keltic and older
text than Chaucier but
>> that is all that I know about it. The book is titled Yng   Ngwlad Y
Gwyddel and here is the
>> 1st paragraph in the book; Mae'n hanner nos, a'r mor yn fyw dan y
lleuad hanner llawn. Y
>> mae awyr glir dryfrith o ser uwch ben; ond cyfyd cwmwl du fel angau o'r
gorwel ar ororau'r
>> Iwerdon. Dringai'r llong un don er disgyn yn afrosgo dros don arall, ac
fel y gadawem y lan,
>> ai'r  tonnau'n fwy a'r goleuadau amryliw ar draeth Lloege yn llai amlwg.
Ar y dec, yng