ANST - Swords and Barney Fife

CADET1313 at aol.com CADET1313 at aol.com
Mon Sep 25 20:11:18 PDT 2000

In a message dated 9/25/00 5:38:13 PM Central Daylight Time, Baronman at aol.com
writes:

<<  I told him that there was State legislative permission as long as
 it was (a. part of a demo) and (b. from a member of a historical
 reconstruction group).  Barney said he believed me but he would still like
 see it in writing.  Can any one on the list head me in the right direction
 for this state statute or is this only an SCA urban legend?

 Baron Bors
 ================ >>
According to my Ansteorran Constables Handbook there is no such "demo or
Reenacting" laws in TX or OK

chapter 46. weapons as defined in the TX penal code

46.01(6) "Illegal Knife" means a:
(a) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
(b) a hand instrument designed to cut or stab by being thrown;
(c)dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and poniard;
(d) bowie knife;
(e)sword; or
(f) spear

46.02 Unlawful carrying weapons
(a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly
carries on or about his person a handgun, illegal knife or club
(b) Except as provided in Subsection (c), an offense under this section is a
Class A misdemeanor.
(c) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree if it
occurs on any premises licensed or issued a permit by this state for the sale
or service of alcoholic beverages.

Oh and by the way "SCA rattan swords are a club and illegal ... EXCEPT for
the purpose of engaging in a recognized sport. SCA combat is a sport as far
as mundane law is concerned." Page 46 ACH

Ld Pieter Rausch
Ex-Constable of the Barony of Bryn Gwlad

PS:  Barney was right