ANST - Elfsea Defender

Barony of Elfsea Baron and Baroness elfsea_excellencies at ansteorra.org
Mon Sep 25 15:26:46 PDT 2000

Unto the Good Folk of Ansteorra

from Galen & Allessandra, Baron & Baroness of Elfsea

Good Greetings!

By the time court on Saturday evening at Elfsea
Defender had stretched to three hours, we were no more
able to craft clever words of thanks and
congratulations than was the audience able to continue
to listen charitably.  And yet more thanks are due than
we have yet made, so we wish to use this forum
to "revise and extend" our remarks.

To Their Royal Majesties, Timotheus and Allyson, our
sincere thanks for your attendance, for adding so much
to the event, for your generosity in permitting us to
grant so many awards in your name, and for your good
company throughout the day.  We very appreciate all you
do.

To the rest of you who attended -- all 500 of you --
thanks for all the many things you did to make this
event so very special.

To our first-time autocrats, Lord Daniel Stewart and
Lady Siobhan Ui Niall, thanks and congratulations on an
event that was _such_ a great success!  We never
doubted you, yet you still exceeded our best
expectations.  Too, thanks to the many who worked this
event, including (in no particular order) Willim &
Rebecca, Lord Ceatta and HL Robyn, HL Darius & HL
Rosalia, HL Raimond, Lord Daniel, Laird Sean, Lord
Kerrick, Katerina, Lady Genevieve, Lady Bice, Lady
Juliana and all the A&S sponsors, Lady Ameline, Lord
Caelin & Lady Pyro, Mistress Stella, Herbert, Honour,
Farrell (at his first event), HL Crandall, Lord Virgil,
Earl Drake, Countess Kayleigh, Don Llywelyn, Lady
Magdaleigha, Lady Elizabeth & Lady Innes, Juliana and
Elizabeth, and Whitney too, Lord David & Lady Lavina,
Lady Layla, Lady Brigid,  Lord Timothy & Dama Anezka,
Loch Ruadh for the archery tourney, Dragonsfire Tor and
Black Oak Keep for helping us strike our camp,
Threebridges for bringing out 8 new members, the
Steppes for running the Equestrian and for the loan of
thrones when ours broke, the many we've no doubt
shamefully forgotten, and the many more we didn't know
about.  Thanks to all of you.

Special thanks to Mistress Xene, who -- knowing more
than we did about what we were getting into -- spent
much of the event making sure that Their Majesties and
ourselves had food.  Likewise, thanks to Lady Arabella
for taking such good care of us all day.

Thanks to Duchess Willow, Duchess Larissa, Duchess
Deshive, Duchess Julia, Countess Regina, Countess
Margaret, and all the ladies who took part under the
ladies' pavillion.

The day began with the archery list, which ultimately
grew to 30 entrants.  It was a formal tourney done with
much pomp and heraldry, and most competitors really got
into the spirit of things.  There were many impressive
feats of skill and exciting moments.  It was a royal
round format in which two competitors tied with 80
points each, Lord Fearghus McKenna and Lord Aldwin
Greenleaf.  In a shoot-off of three arrows each at 40
yards, Lord Aldwin proved victorious, to become the new
archer Defender of Elfsea.  Lord Artair Mac Mora was
given a prize as the Baron's favorite.

The rapier list had nearly 40 competitors.  Her
Excellency was most impressed at the many great acts of
prowess and courtesy, notably by Don Valyntyn Drake,
who yielded a bout in order to bring word fame to a
worthy opponent, Lady Simone.  The swiss five was
shortened to four rounds because of schedule pressure,
leaving three undefeated finalists to meet in a round-
robin: Don Stephen Hawkins, Don Aaron Harper, and a
fellow named Christophe from Brad Leah, fighting in his
first tourney.  Don Aaron and Christophe double-killed
twice in the first pairing, and then Don Hawkins
defeated each of them in turn to become the new rapier
Defender of Elfsea.

The chivalric list saw 74 entrants, and many acts of
chivalry and prowess.  Five rounds left us, again, with
three undefeated finalists to compete in the round-
robin final:  His Grace, Duke Jean Richard, Sir Miguel,
and HL Gideon.  Duke Richard defeated HL Gideon in the
first pairing, but was then himself defeated by Sir
Miguel, who was in turn defeated by HL Gideon, thus
leaving the score tied.  A second time through saw Duke
Richard defeat both his opponents to win the title of
22nd Defender of Elfsea, fighting for the honor of his
lady wife, Countess Anora Frayne of Winward.  Lord
Skian Ruad was awarded a prize as the Baron's favorite.

Our congratulations go out to the new King's Lancer,
whose triumph was described here by Sir Alexis.

Six heraldry-based A&S Competitions, a period games
competition, and a children's bardic competition
rounded out the activities of the day, and many fine
revels were noted that night.

We also congratulate the winners of all those
competitions, as well as all the award recipients,
especially including HL Ceinwen ferch Rhuel, on being
created a companion of the Iris of Merit, Lord HL Enoch
Crandall MacCranon, Lord Padraig Ruad O'Maolagain, Lord
Thomas de Ruthven, and Lord Daniel of Cameron, on
joining the Order of the Azure Keystone of Elfsea, Lady
Simone and Earl Drake on receiving the Portcullis of
Elfsea, and Baron Llywelyn on receiving the Azure Grail
of Elfsea.

It was our first Elfsea Defender as Baron & Baroness,
and it was very special.  Thanks again to everyone who
made it so.

- Galen & Allessandra