ANST - Re: ansteorra V2 #284

mikea mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Wed Sep 27 09:19:22 PDT 2000

> Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 19:43:47 -0700
> From: "Bella" <elvenwolf at geotec.net>
> Subject: RE: ANST - Swords and Barney Fife
>
> Anyone know if there is any such law on the books for Oklahoma?
>
> Lady Sibeal

I Am Not A Lawyer, but it appears to me that we're covered by
the "proper use of guns and knives for hunting, fishing, educational
or recreational purposes" language in Title 21 Section 1272, as far
as carrying/wearing knives and swords _at_ events.

: '21-1272.  Carrying weapons - Exceptions.
:
:     It shall be unlawful for any person to carry upon or about his
: person, or in his portfolio or purse, any pistol, revolver, dagger,
: bowie knife, dirk knife, switchblade knife, spring-type knife, sword
: cane, knife having a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure
: applied to a button, spring, or other device in the handle of the
: knife, blackjack, loaded cane, billy, hand chain, metal knuckles, or
: any other offensive weapon, except as an unloaded firearm in a locked
: container and otherwise provided in this article.  Provided further,
: that this section shall not prohibit the proper use of guns and
: knives for hunting, fishing, educational or recreational purposes,
: nor shall this section be construed to prohibit the carrying or any
: use of weapons in a manner otherwise permitted by statute.  Any
: person convicted of violating the foregoing provision shall be guilty
: of a misdemeanor punishable as provided in Section 1276 of this
: title.
:
: R.L.1910, ' 2546; Laws 1957, p. 163, ' 1; Laws 1969, c. 311, ' 1,
: emerg. eff. April 28, 1969; Laws 1993, c. 309, ' 1, emerg. eff. June
: 7, 1993.

Likewise, I think we're covered by the "public assembly" language
wording, of Title 21 Section 1277, with respect to carrying "any
of the weapons" (as defined in '21-1272). As I understand It, it
has long been the contention of the BoD that SCA events are not
"public assemblies".

: '21-1277.  Public buildings and gatherings.
:
:     It shall be unlawful for any person, except a peace officer, to
: carry into any church or religious assembly or any other place where
: persons are assembled for public worship, for amusement, or for
: educational or scientific purposes, or into any circus, show or
: public exhibition of any kind, or into any ballroom, or to any social
: party or social gathering, or to any election, or to any political
: convention, or to any other public assembly, any of the weapons
: designated in Section 1272 of this title; provided, the provisions of
: this section shall not prohibit educational or recreational
: activities involving the use of rifles or shotguns if the activity is
: approved by the principal or chief administrative officer in the case
: of a school, or the sponsor of the activity in any other case, nor
: shall this section prohibit the display of unloaded rifles or
: shotguns at any location if the display is approved by the owner or
: operator of such location.
:
: R.L. 1910, ' 2551; Laws 1992, c. 170, ' 1, emerg. eff. May 5, 1992;
: Laws 1993, c. 264, ' 3, eff. Sept. 1, 1993.

NOTE WELL: This is not legal advice, and you act on my observations
and commentary at your own peril and without my approval. If you
have any doubt or question about the interpretation of any law as
it concerns the activities of the SCA or its members, consult a
qualified legal professional.

--
Mike Andrews	/	Michael Fenwick
Namron, Ansteorra