ANST - FWD: Re: ANST-Announce - Archery Safety?

Morgan Cain morgancain at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 18 07:28:27 PDT 2001

Since I have permission to foward our discussion, I am doing so.  My concern is that without knowing specifically what the Society Earl Marshall has proposed, everybody is just whistling in the dark.  The Board rarely (any more) just plonks changes down without taking input from those persons affected.

I have seen persons agitating to make combat archery safer, mostly by setting up a universal standard and eliminating those shafts that can break, and the style of arrows that seem implicated in most of the injuries from Gulf Wars.  I hardly see this as "kill[ing] combat archery."  As I told Gilli, His Grace Duke Sir Eringlen is from a kingdom that has a very strong history with combat archery and quite a number of combat archers in its army.  I hardly think he is going to ban something so familiar in his military system.

I've been in the SCA a long time.  Changes in fighting have happened in the past based upon safety concerns.  I remember when the eyeslot rules changed, and people fussed, but they adapted their helms or got new ones.  If people want to continue playing, they adapt to the new safety rules.  If you think the new rules are going to be unfair, why not wait to see what they have to say before you start firing off angry letters?  Simply saying "we've always done it that way and we are not about to change it" is not an effective argument.

(Not to mention, it is soooooo West Kingdomish.  <s>)

I have yet to see the Society Earl Marshall's actual proposal.  I have seen a lot of persons speculating on what might happen, and whining about the inconvenience of complying with rules that have not been imposed and may not even exist.  This is not an effective use of time or energy.  Once you know what the rules are going to be, give them consideration and see whether you can live with them.  You have to make arrows anyway, adapting old ones or making new ones to the new standards would not be so egregious.  Certainly arrows are cheaper than helms.

                              ---= Morgan