ANST - Re: History Repeats Itself Again and again and again

Carl Chipman cchipman at nomadics.com
Tue Apr 17 22:22:48 PDT 2001

This thread and some of the attitudes portrayed therin are getting a little
bit disturbing.

For the record, I love having combat archery on the field.  It makes the
game more exciting, and rewards those who can truly pay attention to the
whole battlefield, and penalizes those who over-focus.  The flight of arrows
I saw at my first Gulf Wars ( VII ) still sticks in my mind and is one of my
best memories.

However, like everyone, I do know how important my eyes are.  I just paid
several thousand dollars to fix them so that I don't have to wear glasses
anymore.  And before, the idea of an arrow entering the grill of my helm did
not bother me because I knew that they eye-glasses I wore to fight in would
probably stop them.

On the other heand, I do know the pain of having to have helms specially
made to allow me to put on eye protection.  They cost more, are more
complex, and more prone to breakage (due to hinge weaknesses) than standard
helms that do not allow any goggles or glasses inside of them.  The fact is
that the majority of helms would not be usable with goggles.

So, you say, "How about the screen?"

Well, ok, the screen will fit on almost any helm.  And adding it shouldn't
be THAT big of a deal.  But the fact is, excluding Gulf Wars, most melee
events don't draw the hundreds of archers the GW does.  I'd bet a ratio of
one archer to every 15 standard fighters might be a good estimate (based on
my recollection of the War of 3 Kings and Bordermarch Melees).  So, to
permit the one person to fight in the style they want, it would require 15
people to change their armour.  That seems to be a bit un-equitable to me.

It would be akin to me saying "I want to fight with one inch thrusting tips.
Therefore all fighters who I fight against must  have bar grills 3/4"
apart."  I'd get run out of town.

I guess that part of this thread that bothers me is the militant attitude of
"We wanna do this so you will fix it so that we can".  I don't think that
attitude is the one that combat archers want to foster.  I think an attitude
of "Wow, that fact that someone got a nock in their eye is terrible.  Lets
come up with the most effective way to make sure thats the only occurrence
of it."

For what its worth,
Jean Paul de Sens