ANST - Reward for an honorable action.

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Fri Apr 20 10:33:23 PDT 2001

> >  SCA Urban legend #1. At one time in the SCA you could put a $20.00 bill on
> > a picnic table at a fighter practice and at the end of practice, it would
> > still be there.

> >  Baron Bors

Your Excellancy, if you mean that as a fable, then I have to disagree.
I know of a number of quite similar examples that are true.

> Let me clear up a little something here, my armor was *not* stolen at an SCA
> event.  We were staying at the Holiday Inn Express in Canton for 3 Kings.  My
> armor was stolen at the hotel.
>
> In the 14+ years that I have been playing, I have *never* had anything stolen
> while at an SCA function.

> Sigen

Thanks, Sigen.

While I've seen an increased amount of pilferage and stealing in the
SCA in the last few years, such as merchants losing hundreds of dollars
at Pennsic and items "walking off" during loading/unloading at
Pennsic, I also know of, including talking to the folks involved,
acts of both great and simple generosity within the Society. Some of
which invariably bring tears to my eyes when retelling them, even
by email.

Some of these I have tried to capture in the Florilegium in such
files as:
SCA-as-family-msg (24K) 11/28/99    Sometimes the SCA is more like
family.

The SCA can often be seen as a microcosm of our society, good and
bad. But, on the whole, I think it is better.

THLord Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net