ANST - Re:ANST-Announce - Archery Safety?

David Hughes davidjhughes.tx at netzero.net
Mon Apr 23 14:19:58 PDT 2001

Greg Shetler wrote:

> Um - I do.  It's not just rattan as an ongoing expense.  Fighters
> generally fight more than do archers.  As in getting their gear beat
> up.  We have ongoing expenses for armor repair and replacement that
> archers just don't face.  My buddy who does archery made his armor, and
> hasn't made any repairs or replacements to his armor in the last year.
> In that time, I've had to replace a basket hilt, am about due to replace
> my favorite shield, replaced my arms that had blown out, replaced two
> swords, replaced a chin-strap, and had to replace two sets of fighting
> pants.  At a guess, I've had repair/replacement costs of about $60 - and
> I fight in minimal armor, so my costs are less than most other fighters.

Sounds like you need to get better gear, or work on your fighting
style <G>
I'm still using my first two basket hilts (one circa 1977, the other
an early Inman, about '83).  Sheilds get replaced every 4-5 years.
Replaced my elbows and vambraces last year, as, after 15 year, I had
simply outgrown the others.  Most of my swords are 6-8 years old.
Chin strap was replaced when I did the 6 year refurbish on my helm, 4
years ago. Fighting pants, if light cloth, are disposable, if
well-made, good for 2-3 years.
Still using the bow I lent out to someone at the Great Butterfly Hunt
<G>.
Don't own a single legal arrow today, had a few dozen last week ;-(

David Gallowglass

> How many arrows has he had to replace during that time?  If I recall
> correctly, 6.  Per an earlier post, that is about $20 worth of
> repair/replacement cost.
>
> Startup costs don't count.  Replacement costs do.  Our game is hard on
> equipment.  If you think that the cost of replacing archery gear is too
> expensive, try fighting - I suspect that you'll find the total costs
> roughly equivalent.  Moreover, I don't think you're going to get much
> sympathy for cost-based arguments on this issue.  We all have costs,
> both startup and repair/replacement.  We choose our game, and accept the
> costs that go with it.
>
> Dux

NetZero Platinum
No Banner Ads and Unlimited Access