ANST - Period Travel Guides

fitzmorgan at cs.com fitzmorgan at cs.com
Mon Apr 30 16:40:42 PDT 2001

> I assume that people wrote "travel guides" during the Middle Ages and
> Renaissance. Have any survived? Where can they be found? What do they
> cover?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Grace and Peace,
>
> Jovian

Look for "The Pilgrims Guide To Santiago De Compostela"   Written in , I
think, the 12th Century.  and translated by William Melczer.  Italica Press,
INC.  ISBN 0-934977-25-9 for $17.50 if it's still in print.  This is a travel
guide for pilgrims telling of dangers to avoid and sites to see on your
pilgrimage.
      It tells which rivers you can safely drink from and which are unsafe.
It says some rude things about the Basque.  And tells short stories about the
many Saints who's shrines you will see on the way.  It's well worth reading.

Robert Fitzmorgan
Barony of Northkeep