[Ansteorra] Re: [Ansteorra-announce] Brewing and Vintning Competition at Lughnasad

Padraig O'Maolagain padraig_ruad at irishbard.com
Wed Aug 1 13:17:30 PDT 2001

Stefan wrote:

>Greetings Padraig,
>
>I will be off at Pennsic during your event, so this doesn't affect
>me personally, but I'm curious why you are disallowing cordials?
(snip)

Stefan,

Lord Conall, who ran the competition last year (and will be doing so again this year with the help of Laird Logan the Smith) is a big fan of cordials, but he is of the opinion that cordial making doesn't fall under the heading of brewing and vintning, as those necessarily require the fermenting of alcohol from their ingredients, while cordials require pre-existing alcohol.

Cordials are more than welcome in our Arts and Sciences competition, and I hope that we will see (and get to taste) some entries.

Padraig