[Ansteorra] Re: [Ansteorra-announce] Brewing and Vintning Competition at Lughnasad

David Hughes davidjhughes.tx at netzero.net
Fri Aug 3 21:44:47 PDT 2001

"Mark.S Harris" wrote:

> David Gallowglass replied to me with:
> > > However, most period cordials appear to be made by soaking spices
> > > in wine, and sometimes other alcoholic beverages, then distilling
> > > these.  Because it is illegal (in the USA) to distill beverages
> > > without a license, the only way to come close to a period cordial
> > > is to use a previously distilled beverage such as brandy or vodka
> > > to steep the spices in.
> >
> > Or to get a license.  There's a special category for research, usually
> > only issued to universities.  I keep hoping someone is willing to jump
> > through all the hoops needed for one of these as a matter of
> > "historical research".
> > Now, if I hit the lottery, I'd be tempted to endow a chair at T A&M
> > for "Food and Beverages of pre-Renn. Western Europe" with the
> > requirement that they secure such a license, and I be permitted to
> > audit the associated labs <G>.
>
> Interesting. I've never heard this license being discussed before,
> even in the extensive discussions on the SCA-Cooks list.

I ran across it a few years ago, let me see if I can find it again.
It pretty much was a PERMIT to operate distilling apparatus, similar
to that used by perfumers and vinegar plants, rather than a license to
make beverages.  A piece of paper to keep the ATF off your back.

> I'd love to have more details, especially something I could put in
> my files for other researchers.
>
> Having such research done as part of a University lab does have
> other advantages. Distilling can be tricky and if done incorrectly
> you can get some rather poisonous organic compounds.

I beg to differ.  Distilling is trivially easy with modern equipment.
(They sell lots of home use alcohol stills in New Zealand, where
"moonshining" for personal use is completely legal.)
"Mashing" is where most people run into trouble.  Cutting cost by
using old battery acid to convert starches into sugar, rather than a
proper use of malt and enzyme conversion of the starch, using lead
based solder instead of the more expensive lead-free solders, using
old automotive radiators rather than a  purpose made heat exchanger,
and other foolish actions.
Use only grain, malt, sugar, clean water and yeast, and observe the
same levels of cleanliness you would in a commercial kitchen, you'll
have no problems.

David Gallowlgass