[Ansteorra] Re: [Redtape] Membership numbers disturbing Trend

gtaylor gtaylor at lonestar.jpl.utsa.edu
Tue Aug 14 07:12:07 PDT 2001

Something that I've heard some do is hold a Toys for Tots tourney at a
shopping mall.  Invite the public.  Admission a toy or small donation.  One
thing to remember....no long, boring, stand-and-look-at-each-other fights
during a demo.  Who wins matters much less than a good show.  You've gotta
have someone divide up the audience to cheer for specific fighters....make
it a little "Medieval Times".  You can have a little girls be the one who is
fought for...and make sure to have some sort of small largesse (smallgesse)
for them at the end...necklace, whatever.  You can also have a boy by your
"squire".   And, you can have interesting, quick entertainment between
rounds.  Mess with numbers of fighters so that you can have a "finals" in
three rounds.

One thing that Burke reminded me about...
There's another Three Musketeer movie coming out.  Hello?  Rapier
Community?  Time for movie theater demos!  Take those pretty helms and heavy
rapiers (okay...you can use the epees and foils too...but try to use the
nice large blades if you can) and give them a show.  Again...figure out how
to incorporate audience participation....work on that showmanship...get a
kid into your act.  And remember...if someone is being an insulting
jerk...they have to eventually lose...

Isobel Hadleigh