[Ansteorra] Questions about groups that cover large geographical areas

Susan catmafia at swbell.net
Mon Dec 3 11:00:37 PST 2001

I have a question for anyone who has lived in a Barony or group that is/was
over a large geographical area.  How did you keep people involved in the
group at large, when it was difficult for them to come into the population
center very often; but want to stay apart of it as opposed to starting an
insipient group of their own?  I would love to hear of all the different
things you all have known of, because I have had quite a few people that
this question applies to in our group during my 5 months as Hospitaller and
have no examples to fall back on.

Also, please forward this on to any others you know in the Known World who
could help me with this question, just keep my tagline with it so the
answers will find their way back to me.  Things I have found that help;
group e-mail list, getting them to submit to the Baron's Newsletter, demos
in their area, occasional meetings of different guilds there and gatherings
that are unoffical just to get together.

Elements that affect this, we are way out on the edge of our Kingdom, we
are called Northkeep and I heard it best described recently as "Go
North..Keep Going" and that decribes us well.  Also, our lands and the
unclaimed lands within the kingdom near us, cover much of the Eastern side
of Oklahoma.  For those not familier with Ok, this is the lands that were
unclaimed during westward expansion (other than by the Osage as their
hunting grounds) and the US Gov't 'removed' the 'Indians' to.  This area
isn't mountainous, but very hilly and very woody with lots of rivers,
creeks and lakes and native wildlife.  Thus making it unfriendly for
regular travel over a distance.  I think that covers the main points, for
those looking us up on a map, we are in Tulsa and our Canton Runel is in
Mcalister.  One other component, in this area are at leaste 4 state
colleges and we have had interested people near 2 of them and the other is
in the area of our canton.

Thank you in advance for all the stories you are able to send to me.  As my
name indicates, I am a very curious person and love to hear stories of the
human condition and expecially as they work to make community, so please
send as much details as you have the desire to write.  Thanks again,

Susan the Curious
Hospitaller
Barony of Northkeep
Ansteorra