[Ansteorra] Period furs- long

David Hughes davidjhughes.tx at netzero.net
Mon Dec 3 17:59:12 PST 2001

Alexandria Doyle wrote:

> > > In the inventories of Queen Elizabeth, there are records of rabbit fur
> > > being used for linings and trimming for her gowns.  Sable, ermine and
> > > varieties of rabbit were the most common, also used were mink and
> > > squirrel, with lettice, lamb and wolf used infrequently.  There is also
> > > mention of sable being used for tippets which were worn around the neck
> > > and shoulders.
> >
> > Thanks for the info, Alexandria.
> >
> > But what is a "lettice"? I don't think it is something you put
> > in your salad... :-)
> >
> > Stefan li Rous
> > stefan at texas.net
>
> uhm, it's a beastie with a really nice fur?  Sorry, I haven't a clue and
> the resources I have don't have any information regarding them.  I seem
> to recall seeing the name in a period cookbook, but of course I can't
> find it now.  I tried a web search and it seems this is a really popular
> lady's name, it's period even (see Lettice Knolly), but no matter how
> ruthless Queen Elizabethan may have been, I don't think it's likely that
> she was wearing the skin of some woman named Lettice...
>
> Alexandria

Did a little searching.
One source says " a pale gray fur"
Another suggests weasel.
A third a fur similar to ermine or powdered ermine
A fourth the underbellies of squirrels (Which could be pale gray).
Still another suggests that the term might be used in error, and not
describe a fur, but rather a style.
Ah, the joys for the Web <G>