[Ansteorra] RE: Period Dog Breeds-Welsh Corgis

Anna Isbell a_isbell at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 22 18:41:36 PST 2001

My good friend Vanessa,(Lady Miranda) fwded the series of e-mails about
period dog breeds to me.  I am responding because I wanted to clarify some
things about Welsh Corgis (Corgwyn)

First of all there are two separate breeds of Welsh Corgis.  Both are
believed to be very ancient.  They are more properly called either the
Cardigan Welsh Corgi (from Cardiganshire) or the Pembroke Welsh Corgi (the
kind the Queen of England has).  The Cardigan is claimed to be the more
ancient breed, that probably decended from the same stock as Basset Hounds
and Dachsunds, some claim that it can be traced to 1200 B.C.  The Pembroke
is the "newer" breed having more spitz-type characteristics which are
believed to come from the interbreeding of the Cardigans with Viking dogs
when the Vikings invaded Wales. There are remarkable similarities between
the Pembrokes and Norse herding breeds.