[Ansteorra] GW keeping dry

Aurore Gaudin Aurore at hot.rr.com
Thu Dec 27 09:00:12 PST 2001

Smart.  Aurore

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Betty Herrington
  To: ansteorra at ansteorra.org
  Sent: Thursday, December 27, 2001 10:48 AM
  Subject: Re: [Ansteorra] GW keeping dry

  After attending eight GW, my best advice for camping plans are be prepared for sudden, brief, intense rain storms and high winds, and hot or cold weather.

  Almost everywhere is downhill at the ranch, but the soil is sandy and the rain quickly drains or runs away, so it can be walked upon just a few minutes after the storm, and is sand not mud.

  I pack everything in huge rubber maid storage bins so items can very quickly be stuffed back into them when the big rains hit.

  I completely covered my tent with an igloo of medium weight visquine that kept out the rain, wind and damp. This was held down with lots of heavy wood all around, rolled under the visquine, like a pageboy haircut, to make the water drain off and not collect in puddles in the draped plastic. Rolling the cover this way seemed to stand up to the high winds better as there was nothing left flapping.

  The door was draped so there was a big piece I had to lift up and stoop to enter. This flap was held down by rolling it with the wood after I was inside the tent.

  The visquine cover also allowed me to place my take-apart rope bed against the tent walls without worrying about leaks. It was a true luxury to be up off the floor last year. The bed also gave me a place to store things under.

  Our household leader arranged with the ranch owners to purchase bales of hay, which they delivered to our campsite. The hay was spread around thickly under our tents to make a soft surface and allow rain to run under the floor and on down the hill. We even covered our "streets" with hay, and had no muddy problems and it looked really great in our little village.

  I used a standing clothes rack inside the tent with plastic draped over all the garb, to hold off some of the dampness, and a large rubbermaid bin underneath the clothes will keep the hems dry, should the floor have a pin hole in it. If worried about a leaking roof the clothes (on hangers) could be lifted off the rail and placed in the bin under its lid. Then let it pour!

  Same for bed covers and pillows, quickly stuff them in rubbermaid bins!

  This year I will take a four-shelf small rack to place things on that I was constantly digging for last time. Being hollow I can lay it down and pack items in it for the journey.

  What ideas have worked for you other good gentlefolk?

  HL Ciard O'Seachnasaigh