[Ansteorra] Re: UR 1st GW

David Hughes davidjhughes.tx at netzero.net
Thu Dec 27 18:26:44 PST 2001

DonnelShaw at aol.com wrote:

> --
> In a message dated 12/27/01 3:27:32 PM Central Standard Time, hlannes at ev1.net
> writes:
>
> > I don't post very often but couldn't resist this one.  My first Gulf War was
> > # 1.  I remember the 20 or so merchants, the 500 or so people, mostly
> > Ansteorran, and the stifling heat since it was held in June or something
> > like that.  Most of that 1st war was dealing with heat prostration which
> > staying the the pool helped a lot (much naked drunkeness around the pool at
> > night was the order of the war).  My most VIVID memory was the procession
> > onto the field by all our fighters.  Almost each and every one of them wore
> > the Ansteorran tabard, each sewn by lady, household, barony, or just good
> > friends.  The black and gold banners were everywhere, hung from banner
> > pole,
> > and polearm and favor belt.   The procession seemed to last forever as our
> > fighters streamed by singing "By the Rising of the Star".
> > I thought I was going to burst with pride over how glorious our brave men
> > and women looked that sunny day.
> >

> I also remember the woods battle. But you are right the tabards were a sight
> to see. My husband still has his. (It is the only thing from that time that
> still fits. Shhhhhh don't tell him I said that!)
> Donnel

The infamous Woods Battle!
90+ degrees.  90+ % Humidity.  Heavy brush. ALL uphill or downhill,
with bogs at the bottom of each gully. STEAM wafting out of my chain
Hauberk.  Wearing my gear and carrying that of two others who
collapsed from the heat. EVERYBODY lost in the woods.
I vaguely recall it.......

David Gallowglass