[Ansteorra] Level 3 Banishment???

Burke McCrory burkemc2 at home.com
Thu Dec 27 23:34:57 PST 2001

At 08:28 PM 12/27/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>I would like to express my curiosity regarding a
>notice printed on page 36 in the "Black Star" at the
>very bottom of the Branch Listing - Southern...
>
>First, I am confused regarding its hidden treasure
>location...Is this a new tradition to list banishments
>of any nature within the branch listings?
>
>Second, He is banished from the entire Society?
>
>Third, How is it that this matter that is so serious
>of a nature that the BOD has reviewed it and processed
>a Level 3 for the entire Society, yet we have not had
>the announcement that he has been banished from
>Ansteorra by Their Royal Majesties' hand?
>
>And, Who made the proclamation?
>
>This must have been serious indeed if the BOD handled
>it so swiftly and beyond the hands of the King &
>Queen...
>
>Perhaps, someone more knowledgeable in these matters
>might help to clarify this for me.
>
>In Service,
>Confused in Ansteorra

First let me say that any banishment, regardless of the level, is a serious
matter and that the tradition of the SCA is that these issues are not
generally talked about on email lists or online forums.  There is usually
additional information that the involved parties can't and/or won't put
into such public forums.  In general any banishment can only last for, at
most, the duration of the issuing Crown's reign.  The next Crown can, at
their discretion, choose to reissue the banishment if they feel it is
appropriate.  A level 3 banishment (Absolute banishment) is automatically
forwarded to the BOD for review and possible permanent revocation of the
banished party's membership and participation in the SCA.  As for the
location in the Black Star, all that Corpora requires is that the issuance
of the banishment be published in the next available Kingdom
Newsletter.  The form and location is usually left to the Chronicler's
discretion when doing the layout of the issue.  As to this banishment it
was proclaimed in court by the Crown a few weeks back.  If you have any
further questions as to this matter I would recommend you direct them to
the Crown in private.

Sir Burke