[Ansteorra] Period Dog Breeds

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Fri Dec 21 12:56:27 PST 2001

Aurore Gaudin wrote:
> Stefan, we're not eating our family members here this time.  And I do count 4 legged pets as people that are family.  I'm just not going so far as to having SCA fall into my mundane life as to having a period pet.  Main problem for that idea is we can't take our beloved friend with us to events unless (s)he is service animal.  If they could go with me then I would consider getting a period pet.  Do Saint Benards count as period?  They would make good bed warmers for Ice Axe.  Aurore <

Well, I really wasn't suggesting eating pets. Even the Spanish cat
recipe I was highlighting actually appears to be for a wild cat and
not the domesticated cat.

However, the line does seem to blur between what was considered a
pet and what was food at times. Rabbits were kept as both pets
and for food in the Middle Ages.

For a long time all the period recipes for horse that I had came from
southwestern Asia. Now I have some from Europe.

As for taking pets to SCA events, it really depends upon the site
and perhaps mundane regulations. I've seen plenty of dogs at SCA
sites and sometimes cats. I've also seen a number of ferrets. And
a few birds, both parrots and hawks.

I have seen both well behaved pets at SCA events, and some that
should never have been taken out in public. Of course this also
applies to some SCA folks, as well.

For a bit more on this, see this file:
pets-msg          (36K) 12/30/99    Pets at SCA events.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/ANIMALS/pets-msg.html

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net