[Ansteorra] Persona motivation

Susan catmafia at swbell.net
Sat Dec 22 18:23:38 PST 2001

>My name? Elspet no h.  Not common in Scotland 1562.  But common enough on the
>eastern coast if hardly ever found elsewhere. (my family and personas home)
>I would have missed all that if I had pulled it out of a book at a
>consultation table, or borrowed the English Elspeth.  Understanding your name
>really can be the first step in understanding your persona.

This resembles mine to a high degree too.  In the beginning of looking at
the concept of persona, I knew that I just needed to be able to be me
without the confirming to modern expectations of behavior.  I kept my name
Susan and picked a qualifier that describes me well, Curious in both deed
and interest level.  I have known that my name has been around in it's use
as Susan since at leaste the 1400's for a long time, think I was a teenager
when I found that that was when it had arrived at that form as opposed to
the biblical Suzanna-I still have yet to get a copy of the appocrapha to
read the book with that name.

In the beginning looking; I found that the Isle of Man, that I have been
facinated with since childhood, would be able to support the name and I
love and also the diversity of clothing styles I am comfortable with.  I
have loved my research into the place and have been left at the end of many
questions with questions there are not redily availible information for,
which is where my favorite lines usually take me.  I am really wanting to
find out how the Manx as a cat breed has been able to survive on that
island for as long as it has, expecially given the genetic reasons for
their differences.  I have found someone who has a friend who is a
Historian from the Isle of Man and am looking forward to when world events
will bring her here to visit with him, for that will be facinating.  I also
found that from the Mayflower travelers, Miles Standish was a Manxman who
was taken along to support the numbers traveling and was not a Pilgrim.  My
ancestory contains John and Priscilla Alden and I have yet to find what
their origions were and look forward to that day, I would be thrilled to
find that I have Manx roots along with the Scottish, English and Welsh that
flow through me.

Anyone else have a major personal connection or revelation from your
persona seach that you wish to share?

Susan the Curious
Susan-the-Curious at swbell.net