[Ansteorra] Manx Info

Susan catmafia at swbell.net
Mon Dec 24 09:37:40 PST 2001

There one we will probably check out later in life if we are out on some
land.  My husband would love to have several of the small wild cats as
companions (large ones too if we had the land and resources for it)  My
manx connection goes very deep, Tiger was born in the chair with me on
Easter morning when I was a little kid and my constant companion till he
disappeared 4 or so years later.  When I would go to my grandparents he
would be looking for me constantly and also had several instances of
talking that my mother and sister witnessed and both were times he was sick
or injured and the things he said were things he heard me yelling all the
time when I needed some help. (my mother's name while in the house and my
brother's when I was outside)  The next one I knew was Zepher and he was
with the family of my boyfriend my senior year and he was a phenominal cat.

The taillessness isn't really the attractive feature for me, but the
personality.  They are just very, very different from any other cat and I
wonder if they have done the genetic research on if they really were
another small wild cat that was on the Isle of Man and as the other kinds
of cats were brought onto the island the interbred and created what we have
now.  There is so little on the small variteties of wild cats around the
world that I would love more info on that.  The OKC Zoo has a great Cat
area and in that they have the Pallis Cat and another small wild cat and
then many medium smalls, mediums and most of the large ones.  It seems like
the Tiger there is one of the Rare (I think it is here, we have been to so
many different zoos) Javanese ones.  He is a beautiful old man.

As to cross mixes, the printer down the road has a Manx-Bobcat cross.  The
mother was a friend's pet bobcat and they had bred her with a large (20
pounds or so) Manx male and this guy and his brother had two of the
kittens.  His was about 20 pounds and his brother's was over 30.

We also have a Japanese Bobtail, we found him at the pound and thought he
was a stumpy manx.  This is the breed that the Oriantal Good Luck Cat comes
from.  The (not sure how it is spelled, Mee Kay) is the tricolor JB and
they are the one featured with one paw held up.  Monty is one of the most
completly unique and different animals that I have ever seen and is very
specific about what he will and will not do and does each with great intensity.

Susan the Curious
Susan-the-Curious at swbell.net