[Ansteorra] Re: Ur 1st GW

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Dec 27 15:31:30 PST 2001

Aurore posted about Gulf Wars:
> I'm of pure joy that you want to go to War.  Although Plachoya is right, ne=
> ed to bring warm clothes.  Suggestion, place clean, dry clothes in large Zi=
> plocs.  There were a couple of nights there, I went and found greater warm =
> in my tent and under blankets.  A summer cloak (just an idea, twin bed shee=
> t)  sucked in the rain and cold.

For those interested in some of the comments about and history of
Gulf Wars, they might want to check this file in the CELEBRATIONS AND
EVENTS section of the Florilegium:
GW-history-msg    (18K)  4/16/99    Histories of the SCA Gulf Wars event.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CELEBRATIONS/GW-history-msg.html

Some of the useful information in the SCA-CAMPING and PENNSIC sections
is also applicable to Gulf Wars.

My first Gulf Wars was Gulf Wars I (I've missed only the second one).
If no one else has touched upon the discomforts of fighting in a
very humid Mississipi in the middle of June, I will see about detailing
my experience of that event. The good(?) thing was that there were
only 500 particpants, so close in camping among the cabins was
available to even us peons and was for several years after that. And
the skinny-dipping in the pool was certainly more enjoyable in June
than it is now in March. :-) But for several years there were very
few classes or other activities for the non-fighters.

Stefan
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net