ANST - Care of a fine Sword (long)

The Dudleys favour at hyperusa.com
Tue Feb 6 19:15:38 PST 2001

Greetings, Lady Neeve:

Was it the bone or the steel that was damaged?  Unfortunately I know little
about bone.  About steel, however, my lord husband and I do know a bit.

Flitz or Simichrome are good if the rust is not too deep - Simichrome aka Honda
Polish is available at auto/motorcycle supply shops; Flitz is *theoretically* (I
haven't found it lately) available at Ace Hardware.  If the rust is really bad,
try Naval Jelly.  (Test on a small spot first.)  As a general rule, start with
the least abrasive and work up to see how much abrasiveness is needed.  Once the
rust is removed, reverse the process and go to finer and finer polishes.
Rubbing compound, used to rub out automotive paint finishes, would also be good,
and comes in several grits.  Scotchbrite works also, comes in several different
abrasive levels and is available at auto supply stores that carry auto paints.

If you use something quite aggressive, for example steel wool, Scotchbrite, or
emery cloth, expect to have to re-polish the whole blade using progressively
finer levels of abrasiveness.

Alcohol may not take off all the oil; if it won't, try (carefully!! with good
ventilation and no sparks!!) a solvent such as lacquer thinner.  If you use wax
to preserve the blade for storage, first make sure it is COMPLETELY dry.  Wax
will trap any moisture underneath it, which of course equals rust.  Try
liquifying any paste wax so that it fills the pores.

My lord and I have worked as swordsellers for Angelsword Forge (hand-forged
knives, swords, and weapons of mayhem) at two Renaissance Faires, and this is
what Angelsword's Master Smith, Daniel Watson, recommends for the care of his
blades to anyone purchasing one:

Oil the blade once a month; this will eventually render the sheath almost
self-oiling.  Don't store it for long periods in a leather sheath; leather
absorbs moisture from the air, and will transfer it to the blade.  Use motor oil
(yes, really! that's what he uses on all his blades in storage and at the forge
- antiques included) to oil the blade - he recommends 30-weight; my lord (a
gearhead from 'way back) prefers lighter, 5-w-10 or 5-w-15, as it absorbs into
the pores of the steel better, and adsorbs onto the surface.  Motor oil
additives are there to help it fill pores in steel and exclude moisture; same
principle on a blade.  Master Daniel's storage recommendation is to oil the
blade well then wrap in a clean piece of white cotton (not a poly blend) such as
an old t-shirt.  He did once stress that both the white color and the pure
cotton are important. (Why? He didn't say.  Cynan's guess is that some dyes are
corrosive.)  Renaissance Faires are by nature high-moisture environments,
especially near the Gulf, and the motor oil has proven the best rust-fighter
available.

The fine oils sold in tiny vials are good but not necessary - they include clove
oil and camellia oil, which Angelsword sold.  We use motor oil on our personal
blades.

For sharpening, Angelsword uses a series of progressively finer polishing
compounds on cloth wheels, which gives a very fine edge.  For re-sharpening,
Angelsword recommends the polishing process, but an Arkansas stone or fine
martial arts stone is recommended for sharpening your own blades.  Finish with a
high-quality sharpening steel, such as used to come with good (read expensive)
table carving sets.

Master Daniel recommends furniture wax for wooden grips.  We have seen a great
deal of motor oil on fine hardwood and bone grips, and not seen any damage to
either.

I hope this helps!

Gillian nic Callum
&