ANST - Ballista Bolt Materials

gtaylor gtaylor at lonestar.jpl.utsa.edu
Mon Feb 12 14:15:14 PST 2001

Hello!

Just writing to advise y'all....

If any ballista crews live near a college or university that has a
tennis program (and particularly, active tennis teams), remember that
they go through a whole lot of tennis balls...and are usually willing to
give their dead balls away.  I'm not talking 2 or 3 tennis
balls....between us, my bet is that we've gotten 250...and I've been
promised more (the woman's tennis coach at UTSA did only a superficial
gleaning out of their four large bins of balls). Both myself and Baron
Emrys have been really successful in gleaning tennis balls from San
Antonio Community College and UT San Antonio.    So...I really recommend
that people take this route and contact other colleges/universities.  If
you have anyone who works there, even better.

BTW...are there any good pics of ballistae, used in the coarse of a
battle, online?  The tennis coach was very intrigued (like...where could
she come and watch) when I told her that the balls would be used for
recreationist Medieval combat.

Isobel