ANST - Gulf War

Padraig Ruad padraig_ruad at irishbard.com
Tue Feb 27 09:10:18 PST 2001

The forecast at www.weatherplanner.com calls for highs ranging from the 60s to the 80s, with possible showers on Monday, Friday and Saturday.  Lighter materials for the day, heavier for the night (50 is downright cold if you are not dressed for it.)  A variety, then, and as many as seems reasonable.  A warm cloak, perhaps treated with Scotchgard for water resistance, is an essential.

>How many pairs of pants for fighting and general day-wear? I need to make
>him some. Again.. What kind of material should I make these of (cotton,
>wool, leather)?

Try for enough for fresh clothing every day, and a change for the days he will be fighting.  Nothing makes you feel funkier than damp, soiled clothing.  Again, a variety to suit the changes in weather.  Also, bring plenty of socks, and keep your feet as clean and dry as possible - nothing will make you more miserable than wet, sore, chaffed feet.

>He will be sleeping by himself in a tent. What is the best way I could keep
>him warm at night? We do not have a heater. I have heard of buying him a
>solar/emergency blanket to put under his sleeping bag. Should I go ahead and
>send the air mattress with him, too?

As an old Boy Scout and Scout leader, I can say with authority that you should never EVER sleep directly on the ground if the weather is cold or even cool.   An air mattress with even a regular blanket on it provides good insulation between your body and the ground, so definitely send the air mattress with him.  A trick I use when camping and the weather gets really cold is to wrap up in an extra blanket inside the sleeping bag.  I have never been cold sleeping this way, no matter how low the temperature drops. (15 degrees one night at Gulf Wars VII!)

>What is "Midnight Madness"?

The evening that most of the merchants on Merchant Row stay open late and offer discounts on their merchandise.

>How much should he bring for spending money? How much is ice on site?

How much money can you spare?  :)  Seriously, Merchants Row alone is enough reason to go to Gulf War.  There are great bargains to be found, and you can spend a lot of money in a very short time.  Set a spending limit that you can live with.  There is usually plenty of ice available - it can either be purchased near the dining hall or from the truck that makes a run through the camping areas at least a couple of time a day.

>I would like to make sure he is prepared and comfortable all week.

A couple of other things to consider:

Bring Wet Ones/Baby Wipes and some small bottles of waterless hand sanitizer.  The site can be muddy or dusty, and sometimes both at the same time.  While handwashing facilities are not always conviniently located, a little hand sanitizer will help keep your hands clean, and a Wet One is great for refreshing a dusty, sweaty face and neck.  And take advantage of the hand sanitizer dispensers in the portajohns.

Also, bring along some body powder, preferably something moisture absorbing (the ones with constarch work best).  Using this can help prevent chaffing and irritation.

Padraig