ANST - Care of a fine Sword

James T Crouchet jtc at io.com
Sun Feb 4 21:52:28 PST 2001

> Greetings all,
>
>   Last year at Gulf Wars my lord purchased a
> magnificent sword made by Little John with a double
> wolf head handle on bone.  Due to circumstances beyond
> his control, the sword suffered some neglect and is in
> need of cleaning and maintenance.  We are in Meridians
> now in the panhandle of Florida and have not got a
> clue as to what to use or where to get it to help
> restore and maintain this awesome piece.  All help in
> this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Someone else may have a better suggestion for cleaning it up, but assuming
you want to avoid power tools you will probably want to use steel wool and
oil to clean it up. The more rust there is, the more work you are looking
at.

For maintaining it, the best thing I have found is to clean the blade
completely with alcohol (to remove all oil) and then use good car wax. A
hard finish paste wax works great. The advantages to this over oiling the
blade is that wax never evaporates and it resists fingerprint damage better.
Re-wax it every once in a while, as it does eventually scrape off in spots

Dore