ANST - Creative Chirurgeoning

Michael Tucker michaelt at neosoft.com
Tue Feb 27 13:58:57 PST 2001

Greetings from Michael Silverhands:

"Patrick J. Cuccurello" wrote:

> > I think cooking should have its own Peerage.
> >
> > Heh. Any other topics for discussion?
> >
> > Yers,
> >
> > Big Dumb Gunthar
>
> hehehhehe......so how would you like to be cooked?
>
> Pet. d' Cat.

Here's something from Swede-L FAQ online:

----------

- From Karl Jacobson <swedecj at vcnet.com> -

Tore Wretman, a widely recognized authority on Swedish "husmanskost,"
included without comment the following personal recipe in his cookbook
"Svensk Husmanskost" (ISBN 91-37-08274-4). It is an interesting 300 page
collection on basic Swedish dishes with his personal comments and historic
notations. Published in Swedish only, as far as I know.

Meatballs

2 hg (7 oz) Ground beef
1 hg (3.5 oz) Ground pork - not too lean
1 hg (3.5 oz) Ground veal
2 dl (7 oz) Cream
1 dl (3.5 oz) Bread crumbs
1 Egg
1/2 Yellow onion - finely chopped

Soak bread crumbs in the cream and brown the onion lightly in butter. Mix
all the ingredients to a smooth paste, with a wood spoon, until the meat fat
starts coating the spoon. Add ground pepper (white) and salt to taste.

Fry a couple of small meatballs in brown butter and taste. When satisfied,
roll and fry the rest. Wretman suggests to make them the size of
table-tennis balls for dinner, the size of walnuts for the "smörgåsbord."

Don't put too many meatballs in the frying pan at one time and fry them
pleasantly brown, in ample butter, until done (sizzling dissipates). Put
finished meatballs in a pot and cook out the frying pan with a little water,
and reserve, between each "round." After the meatballs are all fried, powder
the pan with flour. Return the reserved panfry-juices and make a gravy to
taste. A dash, or two, of Soy Sauce is helpful.

The measurement conversions are by me. Also, I ignore the veal, use 10 oz of
beef with 4 oz of pork and ground the meat myself so that I know what I
have. Meatballs are usually served with boiled or mashed potatoes and
lingonberry preserves. Boiled carrots fit in nicely, for me, as well.