ANST - medieval names for K-9's

Morgan Cain morgancain at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 25 04:21:53 PST 2001

>   I was wondering if any one could tell me some of the
> medieval names for k-9.  Not their proper names, but
> what were dogs called?  All help would be apreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> The Lady Sasha Dog

My dictionary reports that although "canine" is derived from "caninus" and
"canis" in the Latin, it did not enter English vocabulary until the 17th
century.

However, the terms "hund" and "dog" were in use before 1600, the latter in
Teutonic/Germanic areas and the former in the Anglo-Saxon realm.  I would
bet that Normans used the period version of "chien" and other peoples
similarly had their own words.

                                    ---= Morgan