ANST - Lindisfarne Dreams and Omens

TONIE KELLEY btkelley at swbell.net
Sat Jan 27 19:18:20 PST 2001

On this 27th day of January in the year of our Lord 793,
Brother Oswain sends this missive from Melrose Abbey

Brother Ambrose,
	Bishop Eadfrith did indeed deliver your message.  Having read it, I am
immediately compelled to put ink to paper.  Bishop Eadfrith assures me
that my reply will be speedily delivered to you.
	The dreams that afflict Brother Aidan I too find most disturbing.  His
visions of dragon-prowed ships and bloodthirsty brigands should be given
our full consideration.  However, I do not think his dreams are the
result of some discontented spirit, but may truly be a warning from
Heaven.  Here is my reasoning.
	Remember last winter, on the feast day of St. Lucy, all witnessed the
Moon's transformation into a crimson orb that so frightened many of the
brethren? Not long thereafter, recall the ghostly comet that for two
months blazed in the west after the sun had gone to his rest.  Aristotle
teaches that such eclipses and comets are portents of unusual evil and
disorder.  To those dreadful apparitions I now must add what Prior
Gerard saw in the heavens only three nights ago.
	After Compline, Prior Gerard witnessed a great firedrake streak through
the stars, leaving in its path a shower of glowing sparks.  To him it
appeared as if a great celestial sword was slashing the entire
firmament.  This searing brand came out of the north, a direction well
suited for the approach of evil.  Could it be that these omens and the
dreams of Brother Aidan are somehow intertwined?  I have posed this
question to many in this cloister and they too are troubled by the
possibility.
	In return for the healing salves you provided, accept these beeswax
candles.  Light them before the shrine of St. Cuthbert.  In that blessed
illumination recite your most fervent prayers for our protection.

	May the Lord watch over us all,
	Brother Oswain
	Melrose Abbey