ANST - A Knight's Tale (a movie)

Chiara chiara at io.com
Mon Jan 29 16:35:33 PST 2001

About 2 weeks ago the techs from the movie got on our costuming list trying
to figure out how to take care of their chain. Man did they make a mess of
things but we set them right. :)

Here was his dilemma and our solution: I working on a film called "Black
Knight". It's a comedy starring Martin Lawrence so accuracy is nowhere to be
found [not that the designer didn't try. A memo from the producers at 20th
century Fox: "The clothes look too
period. Make them brighter!"]

Anyway, [I just watched this take place....not my job y'know] they wanted to
get the oil off some mail hoods so they dipped one in vinegar. It instantly
turned gray-green and even when the "tarnish" is wiped off, in a few minutes
it's green again.
What's going on here? How does the modern day Knight keep his mail bright
and
shiny?
And the popular answer was.....My hubby says: For one thing, the vinegar
wasn't a good idea.  The green  came from the metal reacting with the
vinegar.
When his chain mail needs attention, he wipes it down with a rag.  Really,
that's all.  If it gets rusty, the best thing is to pop it in a big barrel
of sand, seal it up, and roll the barrel around.  Which is also more or less
the period method.  This the best idea, at this stage, to make the green go
away, in fact.  That, or have it lightly sand-blasted.
The oil on a sword or armour keeps it from rusting, and isn't meant to be
"cleaned" entirely away.  In fact, the guys regularly oil up their steel
gear before putting it away for the season.

MaggiRos

Needless to say, it is a comedy. :)

Sincerely,
Franchesca Havas