[Ansteorra] Elfsea

knotwork at juno.com knotwork at juno.com
Sun Jul 1 20:37:24 PDT 2001

OK, here's a bit of name history for our group here in Abilene.  At least
three attempts were made to start a group here.  I don't know much about
the first, but I was here for the second and third tries.  In the late
'80s, we tried to form a group, and wanted to call it "Utdaar,"  because
we felt really isolated -- i.e. "out there."  Our resident Medieval
scholar decided the pun wasn't appropriate, so he found a word with
similar meaning and we dubbed the group "Daarginds."  For reasons better
not explored here, the group failed to thrive and eventually the
incipient shire of Daarginds was dissolved.  Fortunately, the third
attempt was the charm, and Mendersham was formed.  The name is a play on
"Tailor Town" because Abilene is located in Taylor County.  Our
newsletter is called "The Seamy Side," our local service award is the
Silver Needle, and our device is a semi of needles on a blue background,
all in keeping with the theme.

I am way behind on my e-mail, but if it hasn't already been told, the
naming woes of the group in San Angelo is also very interesting, but
would best be told by one of their own.

This is a very interesting topic!

HE Joanna Montgomery