[Ansteorra] new topic

Jane Sitton jane.sitton at radioshack.com
Wed Jul 11 14:43:15 PDT 2001

Greetings unto the list!

I greatly enjoyed the thread concerning chivalry.  I did a lot of thinking
about it, and have come up with a question:

How do you (or do you?) express chivalry in your mundane lives?

For me, I do various things:

I try to drive courteously:  I let people merge into traffic when it is
difficult to find a break, and I try to avoid stopping at a light in the
right hand lane when others behind me might wish to turn.  Also, I try not
to block intersections.

If I have a full basket at the grocery store, I always let the person with
one or two items cut in front of me.

If I see someone in my neighborhood walking (not on an interstate, mind
you), I offer him a ride, especially if he is carrying groceries or etc.

I try not to check out all the books on a given topic when I'm researching
something.

And I always try to let customer service people know when they've done a
good job because having worked in that field, I know it can be a hellish job
at times.

Certainly, I am no model of chivalry, but I like to think I'm making my
little corner of the universe better by trying.

So what do you do?

Madelina de Lyndesaye