[Ansteorra] Re: [Ansteorra-announce] Silent heraldry - name/contact info

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Jul 15 22:37:47 PDT 2001

Lord Ivo Blackhawk wrote:
> During the roundtable discussion about silent heraldry at this weekends
> event, it was decided that a kingdom level administrator was needed to cross
> coordinate interpreting efforts across what is truly a large logistical
> playing field I volunteered for the position, now tentatively titled "Chief
> herald of the golden hands" (or something to that effect *shrug*), but don't
> hold me to that just yet. The position is totally administrative at the
> moment, and will work to try and get deaf language interpreters in touch
> with the groups that need them for courts and event.
>
> This announcement is meant to tell everyone who was not at the discussion
> about the efforts being set forth, and to try and get a general 'call to
> arms' for qualified sign language interpreters to step forward and tell us
> that they are there.

This is done quite a lot in some other kingdoms. The folks in the SCA have
in fact developed a special vocabulary of symbols that are specific to
the SCA.

For a little bit more information, check these files in the HANDICAPS
(soon to be changed to DISABILITIES) section of the Florilegium:
SCA-SL-art        (14K)  9/ 8/94    SCA specific sign language.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/HANDICAPS/SCA-SL-art.html
sign-lang-msg      (9K)  9/19/95    Sign language in the SCA and in period.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/HANDICAPS/sign-lang-msg.html

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net