[Ansteorra] Pronunciation...

Maleah maleah at mmcable.com
Wed Jul 11 13:02:28 PDT 2001

Greetings Maria and the list,
    Baroness Maleah here. Lady Miranda is a native Spanish speaker (hi
Miranda) and this is probably correct for what she speaks. On the other
hand, there are other alternatives depending on if you are speaking
Castillian, Tex-Mex or Portuguesa. If your meaning is "House of the Cow"
which is how I read it the most general pronunciation is: Casa, as in mi
casa es su casa. I believe Castillian and Portuguesa both use a very soft
"th" as Miranda has indicated.
    The story for the lisping of  the "s" into a "th" that I learned in
college is this ***WARNING**  possible urban legend alert********

    Charles the V Holy Roman Emperor and King of Spain was a Hapsburg by
blood. If my faulty memory serves me his mother was one of Ferdinand and
Isabella's daughters who married into the Hapsburg dynasty. The Hapsburg's
passed down the anomaly of a cleft palate which caused them to lisp. So when
Charles inherited the Spanish throne the Court being the syncophants that
they were imitated his speech pattern channging the "s" to a soft "th" so as
not to offend and the pronunciation has stuck to this day.
    Note: My Spanish tutor who was from Madrid vehemently denied this while
mi profressora who studied in Madrid swore it was true. You decide. I have
read other accounts of the congenital defect of the cleft palate being a
problem in the Hapsburg dynasty just as hemophilia was a problem in the
family of  Tsarina Alexandra, last Tsarina of Russia.

Maleah
Baroness of Namron
Hablo espanol