[Ansteorra] Pronunciation...

Michael Tucker michaelt at neosoft.com
Wed Jul 11 12:58:32 PDT 2001

This is actually a famous period Spanish family name. From a Web site by Donald
E. Sheppard, of the Native American Conquest Corporation:

"Álvar Nuñez Cabeça de Vaca was born in 1490 of Spanish nobility. His
ancestors had been warriors for generations (see Morris Bishop's The Odyssey
of Cabeza de Vaca). Vaca's name translates into "Head of a Cow," a title
bestowed upon an ancestor by Spain's King who was victorious in battle after
following a difficult trail carefully marked with cow skulls. Vaca
distinguished himself as a fine officer in battles against the French, Jews
and Moors. He was merciless to the infidel; human suffering, to his way of
thinking, was the fate of all good Catholics. In 1527 he was appointed
Treasurer of the ill-fated Pánfilo de Narváez expedition, then sailed to
America with 300 other soldiers. Vaca described his adventure using the same
terms and concepts later used by DeSoto's Chroniclers, who followed most of
Vaca's trail through Florida."

You can read more at <http://www.floridahistory.com/cab-back.html>.

Yours,
Michael Silverhands